Wednesday 2 December 2009

The Uncanny

The uncanny from what I can gather is when something familiar becomes unfamiliar. We end up hating it not because we don't know anything about the matter but because we know it's changed. 'The fundamental propensity of the familiar to turn on its owners’ Anthony Vidler, The Architectural Uncanny'. This quote is what made the meaning of uncanny a lot clearer for me.

Understanding the uncanny I tend to find I have to think about it a little as possible for it to make sense. It's one of those things that one thinks too deeply into it, then the entire meaning just becomes too hard to grasp. It reminds me of how, Lyra from Northern Lights (or the Golden compass) reads the alethiometer. the knowledge has to come to her and not she to it. I find it's the same with understanding the uncanny.

No comments:

Post a Comment