Tuesday 1 December 2009

Invaders from Mars


For some reason I didn't like this film as much as 'Invasion of the body Snatchers'. Out of the two I definitely preferred 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. I guess this was because the ending in the other one made a lot more sense to me. Another thing I wasn't too keen on was the ending. I guess it's because it goes against everything I've been taught about story telling. I wasn't quite sure what to make of young David running with a recap of the entire movie blurred behind then waking up. I always remember my English teacher in secondary school telling us, when we end a story, never end it with 'and it was all a dream'. I did however read that when the film was released in England an alternative ending was filmed for it. In the alternative ending David's parents are replaced by the Pat Blake, the physician and Stuart Kelston the astronomer.

The film was created a few years before the 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' , so the underline meaning of Invaders from Mars is the same. The fear of anything alien infiltrating what we know. I guess the reason I didn't like it as much was to do with the continues repeating of certain footage. I wasn't surprised when Phil said that they were running out of money when they made the film.

I also noticed that backgrounds in the film looked as if they were painted. Especially the scene where the camera was aimed at the fence ending at the sandpit. The only thought that went through my head at that point was 'Wizard of OZ'. Maybe because of the sets looking painted as I mentioned before but I'm not entirely sure why.


The good thing about this film though, is that I know I can sleep safely tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment