Wednesday 2 December 2009

The Hostile Hospital

I haven't quite decided what image, film or object I'll be using for my essay yet. However this image came to mind when I was trying to think of what I could use that did involve something uncanny. I hope that I have got this right and that the use of the balloon could be uncanny. I also found out, which is rather strange is the hospital this book is set, is actualy called Heimlich Hospital.


To help me get a better understanding of the uncanny and it's meaning I've been looking at

The Uncanny: An Introduction by Nicholas Royle

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XkvSWxjrMN8C&pg=PA1&dq=what+is+the+uncanny#v=onepage&q=&f=false

and

The Uncanny by Sigmund Freud, David McLintock, Hugh Haughton

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zqafz8HKpC4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+uncanny#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Out of both book, I'm finding that The Uncanny: An Introduction makes things easier. It also talks about the word that Phil used in the lecture, unheimlich. Unhomelyness, or

'It can consist in a sense of homeliness uprooted...'

1 comment:

  1. Nice comparison Lev, it runs along the same lines as Edgar Degas's 'Ballet School', where the steps are hiding some of the students, or his work 'Chasse de danse' and the mirror in that case is blocking our view. We know something is happening but we just can't see it. Maybe it is more along the lines of the cropping and the composition of the image. However even though your idea is great I don't feel it truly grasps the idea of 'The Uncanny'.
    Just take a moment to go back and look through the briefing Phil did which has now been posted on myUCA. See if the image you have chosen follows the rules that have been pointed out.

    ReplyDelete