Tuesday 8 December 2009

Church Idea

One of my ideas was that the inside of a church could become unheimlich. The idea came to me when I was sitting inside the church my family and I attend. Dad was taking the service that day. Not because he's a vicar but because once a month someone from the congregation does the service. I was also attending to help as well as to do the readings. One or two snippets of the bible which arwe read out during some point. Because we are now in December, the church has something called an Advent Wreath. There are 5 candles placed inside the wreath of evergreen. The four around the outside represent the four advent weeks. The candle in the middle is only light on Christmas day. More information can be read here.



The image above is just so people can see what an Advent wreath looks like. It's not the one which was at our church. My idea came when I was sitting just in front of our Advent wreath. From where I was sitting I could just see the chior pews leading to where the alter wouuld be.


http://rickoshea.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/signs-there-is-a-god/

To help me try and figure out a way to give the church an uncanny feel to it, I looked up the inside of other churches. Although the image above is not the inside of a church, I posted it up because the way the building is structured. I find it a little bit creepy. It also reminds me of a building Tim Burton would have used in one of his films.

http://www.filipinasoul.com/2008/04/paoay-church-of-ilocos-norte/

However my findings didn't turn out as inspiring as I thought they would. The majority of the churches were very brightly light. I will however in another attempt to figure to what I do to make the church unheimlich is ask the vicar what he think would become creepy..

No comments:

Post a Comment