Tuesday 6 October 2009

Fantasy World

This was designed for a competition for an art website I spend a fair bit of time on. The theme of the competition was 'My Fantasy World'. My idea at first was to have a photo of me sleeping but instead of a bedroom wall, the background would be a mixture of different things ranging from all sorts of fantasy creatures, such as dragons, elves and werewolves etc. Also included would be things to do with my hobbies such as a tent for camping, horse galloping for horse riding etc.



However, I'm not too sure with the way the images are positioned on the left hand side. I would prefer them to have a story like state as if with the right hand side of the picture.






My idea changed when Jolanta offered to take some photos of me working on a prize picture for my friend. At first I wasn't sure what to do with the photos she took as they were rather 'spur of the moment'. But then I realized I could combine it with the contest theme and so I came up with a rough sketch. The idea would be that it would show what goes on inside my head not only whilst I'm drawing but also most of the time.





2 comments:

  1. Interim Review Unit 1: Anatomy 06/10/09

    Dear Charlotte,

    Conceptually, I think your idea re. the struggle to emotionalise expression as experienced by individuals with Aspergers, has lots of potential; I assume, that you must be frustrated at times that people make judgements about your 'inner-life' when your face doesn't always reveal it; people assume there's 'less going on inside' because the face is neutral. This is fascinating and well worth developing further, but I will say now that I don't like your provisional idea with the 'dead eye' and the floating faces - for 2 reasons, 1), compositionally, it leaves loads of empty space and doesn't use the page dynamically, and 2), because the faces you've drawn represent the dreaded 'style-creep' that you MUST avoid; those faces are drawn in a very particular style that can say nothing about identity, because they are too stylised, too 'toony'. I think you're drawing them like that because you are comfortable doing so, but can I suggest, if you are confrontational enough to put Asperger's at the centre of your idea, then be as confrontational and bold about the way you go about it; for instance, how can you visually show the discrepancy between your 'appearance' and the 'reality' of your inner, creative life? I want you to avoid using cliches and conventional imagery by which to express your imagination; yes, you like fantasy, but do we really need to see conventional images of Disney-esque fairies to 'feel' the power and potential of your imagination; consider more abstract ways to visualise your 'soul'.

    The idea of the eye and the four faces feels too depersonalised and like a diagram for a project such as this; take a leaf out of Frida Kahlo's book and put yourself out there; make sure your portrait is about you and not simply about a symptom of Aspergers - you are obviously much more than that!

    Regarding the essay, I really like the idea of arguing that 'surrealism' is actually more 'realistic'; carefully select a series of Kahlo's paintings that will let you discuss the relationship between autobiography/identity and surrealism/reality.

    Finally - your blog; it's getting more interesting all the time, but I still want more from this aspect of your project work; I want to see evidence that you researching and exploring around the theme of your units, and I want you to publish your thinking 'little and often.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Lev, you need to post, post, post. I see no evidence of work since I saw you last week.

    ReplyDelete